What is a Wavemaker? It’s what we call the people making Lafayette a better place to live. Each year, we celebrate them with the Undercurrent Awards, putting their work in the spotlight.
This year’s class, our second, has had a big impact. They’ve raised thousands of dollars for community projects. They’ve given voice to the voiceless. They’ve nourished bodies and souls. They’ve built places to gather (and do the Cupid Shuffle). They’ve saved lives.
Together, these nine people make us proud to be from Lafayette:
- Butch Roussel on improving civic engagement with the 24 Hour Citizen Project.
- Ellis Clay and Cait Marshall on promoting inclusion with We Demand More.
- Gloria Wheeler on building community with The Brass Room.
- Casey Leleux, Christy Couvillier and Denise Konow for advocating for harm reduction with Millie Mattered.
- Erinn Quinn and Phallie Miller for supporting food security with Lafayette Community Fridge.
We invite you to read more about the 2022 Wavemakers and celebrate them with us Dec. 1 at Moncus Park.
News + Notes
Lafayette is running out of shelter space
Housing support agencies moved people into hotels around Lafayette using emergency federal and state government funds. Those funds have long since dried up.