I adore brightly colored drinks. But I'm immediately turned off by the way they often get their color: chemicals. I want pretty drinks too, you know, but without the chemistry set. So, I went searching for a solution and found how to get that deep curaçao hue without unnatural food coloring. The secret? Butterfly pea tea. Mixed with lime juice and tequila, it yields a violet, summery drink I call The Kaleidoscope.
Follow Jolie's videos, ideas and recipes at Porch, Wine & Gravy
Butterfly Pea Simple Syrup:
- Bring 1 cup of water to a simmer
- Add 1 cup of sugar and stir till completely melted
- Take syrup off heat and add 4 butterfly pea tea bags and steep for 30 minutes
- Remove tea bags and refrigerate till ready to use
- Rim a glass with Kosher salt and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add:
- 2 oz tequila
- 1½ oz butterfly pea simple syrup
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- Stir or shake till combined and strain into salt rimmed glass.
- Garnish with lime slice, serve and enjoy